|Orange County Pursuit Policy adopted
In a press conference
Wednesday, October 8 Sheriff Kevin Beary introduced the new Orange County Pursuit Policy.
Some of the changes include:
- Deputies will no longer be able to pursue for property
crimes (including arson, burglary, grand theft auto), DUI, misdemeanors, and traffic
- Deputies will only be able to pursue for Forcible Felonies
and only if other risk factors are minimal.
- All pursuits will be reviewed by the chain of command.
- The reporting procedures were tightened and expanded to
better track pursuit activities and the decision-making process.
- Tighter supervisory control of pursuits.
October 12, 2003
story about the new policy
Orange County Pursuit Policy adopted 10/6/2003 (opens in a new window)
PowerPoint presentation of
changes to the policy (zip file)
Text of a letter by Chief
Steve Jones, Orange County Sheriff's Office
UPDATE! In many of the interviews and conversations after
the press conference (see story above) I was asked how the Orange County policy differs
from the Orlando policy. The policies are similar in nature and, in fact I brought many
ideas and things I had learned in the Orange County review to the Orlando Review.
Similarly there were several ideas that originated with the old Orlando policy that were
incorporated into the Orange County policy adopted last year. There is no competition
here. I am proud of the work done by both committees and both policies are very good
There are two major differences:
1) The Orange County policy allows officers to chase for a wider range of Forcible
2) The Orange County policy allows for exigent circumstances not defined in the
The Orange County Sheriff's Pursuit Policy is a very good policy-the Orlando Police
Department Pursuit Policy is a great policy. I can also say that Orange County Sheriff
Kevin Beary assured me that he is willing to review his policy when any deficiencies arise
and he will never hesitate to do the right thing.
All Rights Reserved
Hosted by NetworkEleven
150 MB for as little as $6.95/month
Please mention PursuitWatch.org